Educational and environmental programs took center stage for our EarthChoice Ambassadors (ECAs) in 2018, with more than 11,500 volunteer hours spent focusing on communities where we live, work and play. With nearly double the amount of volunteer hours from last year, our ECA chapters are committed to making the world a better place.
ECA, our volunteer-based, employee engagement program, began in 2010 to help promote literacy, health and wellness, and sustainability through education and environmental programs. ECA members practice and promote sustainable practices by focusing on our customers, employees, company and communities.
Currently, 30 ECA teams serve in four countries, and we have committed to establish chapters in every Domtar facility by 2020.
“This year, we worked on taking some of our events a step further by developing more impactful programs in our communities,” says Heather Stowe, Domtar’s corporate social responsibility manager. “We held more than 200 activities this year that support our mission and educate our communities on our industry, such as incorporating papermaking sessions into First Book events and offering tours of our facilities to students and teachers.”
Education and Literacy Events
We remain committed to the printed page — especially in the classroom. Through a variety of ECA events we are promoting literacy in our communities by putting books in the hands of kids, paper in their classrooms and supplies in their backpacks to help them succeed in school and life. In 2018, our Domtar ECA volunteers:
- Held papermaking activities in Kingsport with local Girl Scout troops
- Built the Domtar Learning Lounge at Johnsonburg Area High School
- Participated in 20 First Book reading events
- Hosted Boy Scouts at Port Huron for a papermaking session where they earned their “Pulp and Paper” merit badges
Environmental Programs and Sustainability Events
EarthChoice Ambassadors promote sustainable business practices by identifying and sharing innovative methods, educating and encouraging sustainable work habits, and leading by example. This year, ECA volunteers amplified our sustainability messages through various environmental programs, including:
- A companywide Earth Week, where facilities participated in daily sustainability events, such as recycling lunch-and-learns, planting trees in community gardens and local highway cleanups
- Multiple park cleanups with the Student Conservation Association
- Building an outdoor classroom for an elementary school in Jesup, GA
For more information on this year’s educational and environmental programs and other ECA accomplishments, take a look at this Earth Choice Ambassadors Year-In-Review infographic.