Domtar’s EarthChoice® Ambassadors (ECAs) had a very successful 2016, clocking more than 4,000 volunteer hours in our communities. Domtar’s ECAs organize events to promote sustainable business practices focusing on our customers, employees, company and community. With 23 teams in three countries, our ECAs contribute their time and energy to improve literacy, sustainability and health and wellness in the areas where Domtar employees live and work.
In 2016, ECAs:
- Refurbished a wildlife park in Kamloops, British Columbia
- Painted 500 feet of boardwalk in Plymouth, North Carolina
- Cleaned river shorelines and parks in Kingsport, Tennessee
- Picked up litter along highways in Ashdown, Arkansas and Delaware, Ohio
- Potted 200 plants and donated garden tools to the Jesup Boys and Girls Club in Georgia
- Supported a PaperPal program in Kamloops
- Collected 40 pairs of gently used steel-toed shoes and boots for the Boots to Work program at the United Way’s Career Closet in Rothschild, Wisconsin
- Assembled boxes of food and sorted canned goods at local food bank in Ashdown
- Donated $3,500 worth of supplies to Hurricane Matthew victims given by employees of the Marlboro Mill in Bennettsville, South Carolina
In addition, 11 EarthChoice Ambassador chapters partnered with First Book to share books with hundreds of elementary school students. Volunteers visited classrooms and read the donated books to the children. Each child took home a book. Our “Domtar Delivers Books and Smiles” video looks back on the First Book events.
“I couldn’t be prouder of our EarthChoice Ambassadors and all the work they do year over year,” said Heather Stowe, corporate social responsibility manager at Domtar and founder of the EarthChoice Ambassador Program. “This year, we doubled our volunteer hours from last year and added new chapters in Addison, Illinois; Hawesville, Kentucky; and Washington Courthouse, Ohio. I can’t wait to see what 2017 has in store for us.”
See more ECA year-end review highlights from across the company.