It’s been another busy and successful year for the Domtar EarthChoice Ambassadors program. In 2017, we volunteered more than 6,000 hours to serve in the communities where Domtar employees live and work.
EarthChoice Ambassadors volunteer in their communities to help improve health and wellness, literacy and sustainability. The program was created in 2010, and since then, it has made a formal commitment to expand to every Domtar facility by 2020. Currently, there are 26 EarthChoice Ambassadors chapters in four countries.
In 2017, our EarthChoice Ambassadors:
- celebrated Earth Day for an entire week by planting trees, hosting recycling drives and more.
- worked to restore an urban forest in Montreal, Quebec.
- helped refurbish a community center in Johnsonburg, Pennsylvania.
- held school supply drives for various community organizations and local school districts.
- donated diapers and other supplies to families during disaster recovery projects.
- addressed diaper poverty by providing more than one million diapers to diaper banks and other non-profit organizations in North America.
- were spotlighted on WCCB TV’s Wilson’s World at the Rock Hill Converting Center.
In addition, more than 30 EarthChoice Ambassador events were held in partnership with First Book to contribute to our Powerful Pages campaign. During these events, our EarthChoice Ambassadors visited elementary school classrooms in their communities to read and hand-deliver hundreds of donated books.
“I’m really proud of the continued growth and development of this program. In 2017, our EarthChoice Ambassadors continued to grow with new chapters in Port Huron, Michigan; Espanola, Ontario; and Rheinfelden, Switzerland,” said Heather Stowe, corporate social responsibility manager at Domtar and founder of the EarthChoice Ambassadors program. “The opportunities that these and other chapters provide are appreciated by our employees because they provide them with more ways to become engaged in their communities and with Domtar. I’m looking forward to seeing what 2018 will bring us.”
For more information, take a look at this Earth Choice Ambassadors Year-In-Review infographic.