We’re kicking off Earth Week 2019 on April 22, which is International Earth Day. While we incorporate sustainability into all parts of our business every day, we are excited to have a whole week dedicated to enhancing nature’s gifts and improving life in our communities.
Colleagues and, at many sites, their family members and friends will raise sustainability awareness through volunteering, learning and playing in the world around us.
As part of our caring values, we regularly give to educational initiatives, sustainability programs and efforts to improve the health and wellness of our neighbors. Our EarthChoice Ambassador program further reinforces this concept.
EarthChoice Ambassadors (ECAs) are Domtar employees who volunteer their time and energy to promote sustainable practices that focus on our customers, employees, company and community. By identifying and sharing innovative manufacturing methods, educating and encouraging sustainable habits, and leading by example, ECAs embody our sustainability message throughout the organization.
Sustainability is one of our three pillars of giving, and the ECA program has become an important part of our corporate social responsibility efforts.
Heather Stowe, Domtar’s corporate social responsibility manager and mother of the ECA program, describes the program simply: “All EarthChoice Ambassadors across the company are just that: ambassadors of making and teaching good earth choices. An EarthChoice is any act that benefits the planet or your community.”
Earth Week 2019
This year, during Earth Week 2019, more than two dozen ECA teams in North America and Europe are getting together to make hundreds of EarthChoices at work or at home. Events planned for Earth Week 2019 include:
- Planting trees and gardening in community gardens and parks
- Holding recycling drives
- Hosting lunch-and-learn events focused on debunking agriculture and recycling myths
- Providing families in need with resources to grow vegetables at home
- Teaching students about papermaking and recycling
- Creating a monarch butterfly habitat
- Conducting reading events at schools in coordination with First Book
How will you celebrate Earth Week 2019? Will you be collecting rain water, planting trees or participating in a community clean-up event? Share your EarthChoice by tweeting us at DomtarEveryday.
Learn more about our commitment to sustainability in the communities where we work, live and play:
- Domtar and SCA Clean Up Parks in Two Communities
- Sustainable Forestry Tour: Educating the Social Media Generation
- Our Sustainability Approach: Keeping Forests as Forests